Ontario. Ministry of the Attorney General. Office of the Public Guardian and Trustee
|Record #: CWD3275||Last Modified: 23 Mar 2017||Last Full Update: 14 Jun 2013|
|Description (Service)||The Office of the Public Guardian and Trustee delivers a range of services that safeguard the legal, personal and financial interests of certain private individuals and estates.
* Guardian of Property - managing the financial affairs of incapable people who have no one else who is authorized to do so. Makes all the financial decisions and conduct transactions that these individuals would otherwise handle themselves. Including receiving and depositing income, making investments, applying for benefits, filing tax returns, paying bills and acting in legal proceedings if required.
* Appointing Private Guardians of Property - The OPGT is authorized to appoint a client's relative to act in its place as guardian of property. The proposed guardian must submit an application which includes a detailed plan to show that the incapable person's finances will be handled appropriately.
* The OPGT looks after the estates of deceased persons in Ontario who die intestate without adult heirs; the assets of estates as appointed executor under a will; and the assets as trustee under various provincial and federal legislation; and the Charities Law in the Province in Ontario.
* The Public Trustee also acts as last resort substitute decision maker for all medical or dental treatment prescribed for patients of Ontario hospitals who are unable to consent to such treatment by reason of mental incapacity, and no other relative/people willing to do so; also admission to a long-term facility provided when informed consent is not possible.
* To report a situation involving an adult whom you believe to be mentally incapable and suffering, or at risk of suffering, serious harm, contact Guardianship Investigations at the toll free number. The OPGT will conduct an investigation when it receives information that an individual may be incapable and at risk of suffering serious financial or personal harm and no alternative solution is available.
|Hours||Mon-Fri 8:30 am-5 pm|
|Application||Telephone for service|
|Languages||English ; French ; Multilingual|
|Fees||Based on ability to pay * Fee assistance available.|
|Address and Location|
|Site Location||Atrium on Bay|
|Located In Community||Toronto Downtown|
|Address & Map||
595 Bay St, Suite 800
Toronto, ON M5G 2M6
|Intersection||Bay St and Dundas St|
|Physical Access||Fully Accessible|
|Office Phone||Property Guardianship: 416-314-2800|
|Toll Free Phone||1-800-366-0335|